tonala pigs. there are dozens of varieties. walk the market on a steaming hot thursday morning and you will see pigs of all shapes and sizes. all colors and paint styles. some look very similar in decoration and some are clearly set apart from the others.
i took this photo in december of 2018. i was on an early-morning mission in tonala and found these particular pigs on a scenic side street. the artisto de cerdo, had placed them at the edge of the street to dry in the sun. the bright colors called out to me and I immediately pulled over the car to snap a photo. it is one of my favorites. did you know a bunch of pigs could be called a drift, a drove, a litter, a passel or a sounder? i think these fall somewhere between a litter and passel.
flash forward to 2020 and developing this website. a friend saw my tonala pigs photo and inquired if the pigs were for sale. so i set out to see if I could make that happen. i appreciate a good adventure and drove the eclectic streets of tonala for two days, in search of these particular pigs. thank goodness for the blue and green exterior paint on the houses across the street, which led me to joel, the artisto de cerdo.
and, now . . . you can also purchase your own customized tonala pigs.
- purchase one each for your children to instill within them the concept of saving
- place them at the counter of your business, and donate the funds to a local animal shelter
- the larger versions make an excellent door stop
- buy one each for your grandchildren. fill it with spare change and small bills and gift it to them on their birthdays
- tonala pigs would make a cheerful addition to any kitchen
- use it as a way to treat yourself. stuff the piggy throughout the year and then check into a spa, using the contents of the pig to fund your self-care
- maybe place them throughout your garden as an amusing alternative to the typical, kinda spooky and seriously dated gnome
- hosting a farm-themed birthday party? order a different colored pig for each child and/or use as comical centerpieces
- maybe you have that friend who is pig-obsessed? surely she needs brilliantly adorned pigs from mexico to complete her collection
the pigs come in five sizes and can be painted in nine different colors:
red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, pink, brown and black
petite cerdo: (shown in orange); 13cmx9cmx13cm; COST: $55.00 MXN / $2.50 USD
small cerdo: (shown in blue); 16cmx12cmx16cm; COST: $65.00 MXN / $3.00 USD
medium cerdo: (shown in multi and red); 22cmx15cmx22cm; COST: $95.00 MXN / $4.50 USD
large cerdo: (shown in pink); 26cmx18cmx26cm; COST: $110.00 MXN / $5.00 USD
giant cerdo: (shown in yellow); 36cmx22cmx36cm; COST: $175 MXN / $8.00 USD
shipping costs are not included in the above pricing. it will be determined based on your order.
decide on the size(s), color(s) and amount of pigs you wish to order
and click the button below to send me a message.